Sunday 4 September 2016

Every generation has a gap...

Sunday- 8:15am- It's a quiet Sunday morning (for now). I quickly steal a few minutes and sit on my desk to pen this blog. It's been on my mind for a while, but those 'quiet' moments are a bit rare now. 

A few days ago on the breakfast table, my 9-year old quipped, "Can I quickly have your phone? I need to google and check something before I head to school." So I just
commented- life is so easy for you now. In our days, if we needed any information, we had to ask a friend/teacher/parent or rely on the newspaper. She was startled. It was a bit tough for her to digest. 

The same day I had a talk with my mum-in law and she mentioned the youngest generation (her grand kids) are so advanced and this is probably what they call a 'generation gap'. She commented, "how independent kids are now at such a young age, how focused they are and how easily they adapt." As parents, of course its hits me more than when I was a kid (and am sure my parents felt the same).

In my childhood, I am sure I challenged my parents as well at every stage- be it my decision to focus on my badminton professionally while in school (which led me to de-focus from studies for a few years), then my compelled decision to drop badminton (due to injury and focus back on school and studies), my decision to take off on a one-year long International Exchange  Programme to Germany right after college (and not take on the traditional path to pursue a Master's degree), the decision to set foot into a career that no one knew anything about (not even me), start working at a very young age and living alone (and with no mobile phones to track my whereabouts). Am certain each of these were 'generation gap' challenges. But they sailed through. Not once was I told 'No'. 

Now when I deal with my 9-year old at every stage, I try to get inspired by every decision my mum took with so much ease. I don't recollect a single argument/ disagreement for any of the decisions I made. I realise, each of those decisions led to my growth as a person. If something taught me to be independent, the other to be responsible, if my foray into sports taught me to be disciplined then every failure or defeat gave me the strength to take on every challenge with a smile. 

As I reflect, am sure it must have been tough for them to fathom their younger daughter's decision to not take on an academic route (when they had a brilliant brain in their elder one).

Accepting my daughter's unconventional ways of thinking/arguing, her bent towards technology, her independent streak as a mere 9-year old puts me on the 'generation gap' spot. I am certain challenges my mum faced when I was 18 years, will probably hit me faster.

I kind of relate to this 'gap' now and only hope I can wade through it the same way my mum did, and give both my girls the wings they want to fly (their way).

No comments:

Post a Comment